Two premature babies have died after blood flow infection at Glasgow Hospital.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde confirmed that they had initially investigated three cases in the newborn unit at Princess Royal Maternity Hospital.
But it said that two of the "extremely premature" babies have since died, and the infection was "one of several contributing causes" in both deaths.
The third premature child needed treatment and is in a stable condition.
The NHSGGC confirmed that an incident management team was established on 24 January following the detection of staphylococcus aureus.
Dr. Barbara Weinhardt, doctor of infection control, said: "Our thoughts are with affected families.
"The results today confirmed that three cases of staphylococcus aureus are related and our research continues as they are.
"Staphylococcus aureus is a bacterium found on the skin and in the nasal tube that contains about one in four people and causes infection only when it reaches the body."
Dr Weinhardt said that in cases where people were vulnerable to infections, it could cause serious infections.
She added: "We have taken a number of control measures within the unit, including deep, clean, insulating and barrier-nursing care, safety briefing for all employees, and infection control tips for all visitors."
Dr Alan Mathers, Chief Medical Officer, Women's and Children's Service, said that national guidelines require investigations to be initiated if two or more cases of the same type of bacteria have been detected.
In this case, an incident management team meeting was convened last Thursday.
Dr. Mathers added: "IMT launched an investigation into possible links between the three cases and sent samples for testing.
"While these results were expected, we talked to affected families with parents about the unit and staff to let them know about our investigation.
"The results that have come back today have confirmed the link between the three things.
"Our infection control team continues to work closely with clinical colleagues and local staff to manage the situation and take all necessary steps to maintain patient safety."
The incident management team is made up of specialists, infection control doctors and nurses, occupational health professionals and staff from manor and objects.
The Health Board is also awaiting the results of a separate inquiry into the deaths of two patients at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after they had been infected with pigeon stools.