In 2010, 19-year-old Sam Bullard ate a snack for sweating. He drank with a few friends when the scoop flew over his terrace. Last video interview last year, friend Jimmy Galvin said: "We were sitting here, enjoying the assessment of red wine at night, trying to work as adults … And then the conversation happened:" Should I eat it? "And then Sam went and triggered how it happened."
On Friday, Ballard died at the age of 28 years after a swollen rat lung.
Here's what you need to know.
1. He agreed with the rat lungworm after eating slack to his friend Jimmy's House
In 2010, not long after graduation, Sam spent time with his friend Jimmy's house. He hangs in the countryside with a group of friends when they spot a snail. Then friends dare each other eat snails, and Sam was the one who did it.
Not long after eating hoses Sam began to feel the disease. He told his mother and doctors that he had eaten before. The doctors then determined that Sam was infected with ruminal lungworm disease.
According to NSW Health data, the disease is often found in scrap and snails when they eat rennet excrement. People are likely to become infected by a snail, which contains a lungworm, eating, or after a dead salad that is contaminated with snails or traps. The parasite is more prevalent in Southeast Asia, the Pacific Islands and Australia. The report states that "only occasionally" the infection is fatal, and it rarely causes a brain infection.
2. He was 420 days in total
After diagnosing eosinophilic meningoencephalitis, it is a form of meningitis caused by the ingestion of contaminated snails, and Sam got a coma for 420 days.
When he awoke, according to Independent, he had a serious brain damage and a squadron – complications from his previous illnesses left him "in need of constant care".
Lisa Wilkinson, who wrote a piece about Sam for Ten Daily, wrote: "Although the doctor had been able to save her in time, he was now restricted to a wheelchair with limited communication skills and needed 24 hours a day, day care per week." Three years after being admitted, he was released from the hospital and was given a motorized wheelchair.
3. He walked away, surrounded by loved ones
According to Ten Daily, Sam died on Friday morning at Hornsby Hospital. He is surrounded by "20 people from whom he most loved the world."
Katie, his mother, tells Ten Daily that "the room was so full of love."
His mother was also his headquarters for almost nine years. Wilkinson writes: "The same wonderful mom's angel, Katie, was right on the side of Sam as his main carer who never lost his love, feeding him by circling him, driving him to a toilet and a toilet, organizing doctor and hospital visits, always trying to find lighter moments so she could see her boy again, watch each night at night, always making sure Sam's friend greet him in his new, restrained world. When they visited, just as often, the same eyes always lit up. "
4. He was a rugby player
Sam was a promising rugby player growing up.
He was a student at Barker College.
In March of this year, News.com.au issued an article detailing how Sam fought the government after paying funding for his hospital care. In 2016, Katie applied to the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) after Sam was eligible for a $ 492,000 package, according to the site.
In September 2017, without warning, she was informed that the funding would fall to $ 135,000. News.com.au writes: "The massive reduction in funding was unclear, and day-care means that the Ballard family is in high debt, and they have to pay a care service of $ 42,000."
When Daily Telegraph approached the NDIS, they were told they "worked closely with the Ballard family" to find a solution. It is not clear what resolution is fulfilled.
5. His last words to his mother were: "I love you"
According to Lisa Wilkinson, his last words to his mother were: "I love you".
His friend added: "He had his voice, and Katie said several times that I love you."
He was 29 years old.