Tuesday , August 20 2019
Home / switzerland / A young woman was sitting in a wheelchair for months

A young woman was sitting in a wheelchair for months



A 24 year old paralyzed after a stray cat stroking

A young woman from the UK made a stray cat in Portugal on holiday and came to a wheelchair. Apparently, a 24-year-old was infected by touching an animal with Campylobacter, which means she could not walk for several months.

Bacterial infection puts a young woman in a wheelchair

Especially for cats, many animal lovers cannot help them caress. It also happened to Gemma birch from Southport in northwest England – but then something happened to her only a few animals. For a 24-year-old admiring a stray cat, an agreement was signed with a bacterial infection that caused her to land in a wheelchair.

A young woman is infected but admired by a cat with Campylobacter bacteria. Infection causes a 24-year-old child in a wheelchair. (Picture: Saklakova / fotolia.com)

Campylobacter bacteria have been found in the stool

According to a report in the British newspaper Mirror, 24-year-old Gemma Birch received an infection in Portugal in 2014, causing her temporary paralysis of the hips.

According to the blogger, she was in Albufeira, where she met a stray cat with whom she became friends.

However, the love of the animals was her fatal: she was vomiting again and again back on her last getaway day and returned back.

In the UK she was taken to Southport Hospital, where doctors finally discovered that her stool had Campylobacter bacteria.

These bacteria are usually found mainly in chicken.

Symptoms of Campylobacter infection

Campylobacter infections can cause inflammatory bowel disease, accompanied by symptoms such as diarrhea, severe abdominal pain and fever.

Nausea and vomiting may also occur, blood in the stool and additional complaints such as headache and body pain, chills or fatigue.

In rare cases, the complication of Campylobacteriosis is Guillain-Barré syndrome, a disease of the nervous system. The 24-year-old English woman was one of those rare cases.

The disease attacks the nervous system

According to a newspaper report, Gemma Birch was released from the hospital after one week. But her father quickly came back after being in the middle of the night with numbness.

Doctors diagnosed a patient with Guillain-Barré syndrome – a condition in which the body's immune system attacks its nervous system.

As a result, the blogger spent four months in a rehabilitation clinic and returned to normal in 14 months.

"I had to rely on nurses to go to the bathroom and wash myself. I lost control of my bowel and bladder and couldn't use my hands and arms because they were so weak," the young woman explained.

She assumes she has been infected with a cat in Portugal, which may have taken the bacteria while she was trash cans.

This is an obvious, inter alia, older study published in the "Canadian Medical Association Journal".

Researchers reported that four-legged friends could pass on harmful pathogens to humans, such as bites and scratches, or even if they killed an animal over the face.

The patient became more alert

Gemma birch has become more attentive after a long test.

"As far as I like, I can't touch a stray cat. I love pet cats and love them," said a 24-year-old.

However, she also hopes that "they have not seen hotel containers."

Their desire is for people to appreciate their health while they have it. (Ads)


Source link