Saturday , January 29 2022

“People who use our vaccine have a 94% chance that they will have zero symptoms,” says Moderna’s CEO



[ad_1]

Modern CEO Stephane Bancel on Saturday, December 5, franceinfo confirmed that no person infected with Covid-19 who has received the vaccine from the American public has developed a severe form of the disease. “We know that people who use our vaccine have a 94% chance that they will have zero symptoms of Covid-19 if they are infected., he explained franceinfo. 6% who have symptoms of the disease have mild symptoms. We have not had zero people who have had a severe case of Covid, resulting in hospitalization, intensive care, and, in the worst case, death. “

>> Efficacy, number of doses, storage … All about the six Covid-19 vaccines already reserved by the European Commission

Stephane Bancel also explains that it is too early to say whether the vaccine will prevent infection, even if he finds the results observed in monkeys very encouraging. Europe has ordered 80 million doses of Moderna vaccine and another 80 million of its choice.

franceinfo: When will Modern vaccines be available in France?

Stephane Bancel: On 30 November, we submitted documents to the European Medicines Agency, the United States, Canada, England, and so on. The European Medicines Agency informed us on Tuesday, 1 December, that the final data will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee before approval takes place on 12 January. So we will wait for this date. The process is no longer in our hands. All regulatory agencies have the same record. We are available to them around the clock to answer their questions, but the time for approval depends on them.

We performed Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3. We did Phase 3 with 30,000 people. So this is a very large phase 3 compared to other vaccines, which was necessary given the very rapid acquisition of urgent data. We know that people who use our vaccine are 94% more likely to have no symptoms of Covid-19 if they are infected. 6% who have symptoms of the disease have mild symptoms. We have not had zero people who have had a severe case of Covid, resulting in hospitalization, intensive care, and, in the worst case, death.

Do we know if the vaccine prevents the virus from transmitting? How long is immunity?

We do not yet have a general answer to these two questions. In the case of transmission, we do not have data, but we will probably have them in the first quarter. This is a very important issue in a pandemic.

“At the beginning of the clinical trials, all regulatory agencies agreed that the number one goal is to stop the disease, to stop severe cases.”

Stéphane Bancel, CEO of Moderna

to franceinfo

Regarding the duration of immunity, we have three months of data on antibody levels. The good news is that all participants, including the elderly, have had very little reduction in antibody levels. We think that we will be able to do it for a young person for a few years, even if it is difficult to say whether it will be two years, five years … Older people may need a booster dose more often, maybe once a year or two years.

Today, we cannot say that the vaccine 100% stops the infection?

I have no scientific data. I think this will be possible for a certain percentage of people who will have the vaccine, because in the monkey models we run, where we get vaccinated and then give very high doses of the virus to our noses, we see that there is almost no virus in our noses on the second day. . Extremely high doses were given that significantly exceeded the natural doses of natural infection. Since monkeys that are vaccine-infectious are usually a good species to predict what happens to humans, we think we have a good chance at the same person, but as long as “We don’t prove it with data, I can’t be sure to tell.

[ad_2]
Source link