He spoke with the tears in the eyes of the press, a weight lifter Arley Méndez. Cuban Nationalist Cuban Athlete was awarded the Chilean Olympic Committee as the best annual athlete in the 2018 Olympic Games, which took place on Wednesday in the Casapiedra Center in Vitacura.
Méndez received the prize thanks to its world championship, won in 1989 in the category of 89 kg bobbing in the world championship in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. Also in May He won the gold medal in South American Cochabamba.
"I feel very happy, I can tell you that this is one of the best awards, and it is my honor to give me this year." One of the forces during the season is trying to enjoy an excellent competition. to give everything to Chile to better recognize the country in the field of sport, I appreciate it and this prize is something very big and makes me want to fight "said Mendez.
A significant number of disciplinary players, such as the Best of the Best for the previous year, also attended this event and the current María Fernanda Valdés National Sports Award; tennis player Nicolás Jarry, golfer Joaquín Niemann, gymnastic Tomás González, athlete Isidora Jiménez, paralympic swimmer Alberto Abarza, among many others.
Also, the institution of the Olympic Committee, headed by its president, also attended. Miguel Angel Angela Mujica as well as the sports minister Pauline Kantor
Secretary of State He said improvements in the National Stadium, given the Pan-American Games in Santiago in 2023, were very successful, and he also pointed out that a reform of the Prodar scholarship had to be implemented from March., in terms of economic support for high performance athletes.
Check out the 2018 Olympic Award Winner list:
- Sports Trajectory Award: Ángel Marentis (shot at flight)
- Spirit Award Team Chile: Esteban Bustos (Modern Pentagon)
- Prize for sports promises: Ruy Barbosa (Motorcyclist), Isidora Niemeyer and Christina Hostetter (Rowing), Martín Vidaurre (cycling), female sub groups 15 (Basketball), Nicolás Díaz (Surf), Valentino Toro (Karate), Francisco Solís (Judo) and Youth Team Rhythmic Gymnastics .
- Prize for outstanding events in 2018: Joaquín Niemann (Golf), Nicolás Harry (Tennis), Kristel Köbrich (swimming) and Felipe Miranda (footpaths)
- 2018 World Medal Award: Claudio Romero (athletics), Antonia and Melita Abraham (Rowing), Maria José Mailliard (canoe), Camilo Velozo (Karate), Pablo Quintanilla (motorcycle races), Skate Run, Bárbara Riveros (triathlon), María Fernanda Valdés and Arley Méndez (Weightlifting).
- Best Paralympic Athlete Award: Alberto Abarza (swimming)
- Dear best athlete: Arley Méndez (Weightlifting)
In addition, the following opinions were made:
- Rite federations, Weightlifting and motorcycle racing, World Athletes World Championships
- Teacher Recognition: Giorgi Panchev (Weightlifting), Daniel Nejamkin (Volleyball) and Bievenido Front (Rowing)