Sunday , August 18 2019
Home / canada / New Brunswick abolishes a plan to host 2021 Francophonie games

New Brunswick abolishes a plan to host 2021 Francophonie games



A week after sorting out the ballooning costs for the 2021 Francophone Games, New Brunswick's progressive conservative government has decided to cancel its plan to host an international event.

"We understand that this is a very difficult decision for those who wanted to move forward," said Prime Minister Blaine Higgs.

Higgs announced the fate of the Francophonie Games 2021 on Wednesday morning at a news conference in Fredericton describing the cost of a sporting event – "a very rapid rise".

"None of these decisions was easy."

Higgs said that the high cost of gaming makes it impossible for the provincial government to make strong spending decisions. The Prime Minister said that his government would call a representative to begin the cancellation process.

He said that the abolition of the measure will involve costs. So far, in the province, this measure has spent $ 2.65 million.

Deputy Prime Minister Robert Gauvin set a deadline of January 30 for the federal government and province to "develop financing opportunities" to keep up the worry.

However, it turned out that none of the parties that financed their initial financing commitments to cover the price increase was deadlocked.

But before the deadline, there were signs that the Games were not lost.

Changing signals and costs

Later the odds of the game have been minimal.

Costs associated with gaming last year up to $ 130 million from the $ 17 million figure used in the original 2016 offer. The revised calculation will cost $ 80 million.

Prime Minister Blaine Higgs repeatedly said that the province would not pay more than the initial $ 10 million and called on Ottawa to balance. Federal Cabinet Ministers and Prime Minister J. Trudeau maintained Ottawa, which would not deviate from its policy of matching the provincial investment dollar to the dollar.

"There must be a model that works financially," said Higgs.

Last week, Higgs suggested that the Fate of Games is essentially closed.

Higgs said the provincial government would call a representative on the organizational committee to begin the process of canceling the Francophonie game in 2021. (Jonathan Hayward / Canadian Press)

"Given what [Trudeau] said … in the light of what I say, the result seems obvious, "Higgs told reporters last Thursday.

But an hour before the provincial term, Radio-Canada reported that the Moncton-Dieppe Games organizing committee presented a new estimated cost of USD 62 million.

Also on Tuesday, Federal Minister of Sport Kirsty Duncan surprised by the surprising tone of talks with the province. In a statement, Duncan said that provincial officials "finally came to the table to work with us to find solutions that reduce the cost of organizing games and include in-kind investment."

Dieppe Mayor Yvon Lapierre also stated that the city would increase its contribution if money were channeled to heritage projects by the municipality.

New Brunswick was chosen to host the French version of French French Games in 2016. The games are organized by La Francophonie, an international organization of 58 governments with connections to French.


Source link