This was one of the five confirmed cases and he was in an intensive care facility at Esquel Hospital. There are four other cases reported as "suspects".
This year in this de Esquel hospital, a 61-year-old man from the Chubut city of Epüenne dies. This is one of the five cases confirmed by hantavirus in the southern province of the country, of which two were interned and three were outpatient.
Hospital authorities reported that the patient was in a critical condition and could not overcome the situation. He was a local government employee. Last week a 14 year old teenager died from the same virus. He was in a zonal hospital with a severe digestive condition.
In the last few days, Epuyén has registered five confirmed cases that were positive for hantavirus, approved by the National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Carlos Malbrán, where samples are sent. Chubut Health Ministry sources also told TN.com.ar that there are four more cases reported as "suspects". Some of them are outpatient follow-ups.
Following the infectious flow, the ministry authorities demanded that a team of specialists from the mountain range be brought to the middle of the week to develop a strategy to combat the disease.
The most common epidemic infection is through a virus that transmits the Cordillera small rodent "Oligoryzomys longicaudatus", known as the "colilarg mouse". It spreads there, especially during the flowering cane colliery, which is its favorite food and produces rich seeds at a very nutritious, flowering stage.
Once in a human body, hantavirus pulmonary syndrome causes increased fever, muscle pain, coughing and headache.
After several days, respiratory problems deteriorate and develop under severe conditions that, if not controlled, can lead to death of patients due to respiratory failure or shock, when the lungs are filled with fluid, in a complex situation in hospital settings, because there is a special treatment.
– Avoid coexistence with rodents and exposure to rodents.
– Prevent rodents from entering or making nests at home.
– Apply holes in the doors, walls and pipes, keep hygiene with water and bleach, place gardens and firewood more than 30 meters from the house, trim grasses and weeds within a radius of 30 meters around the house. Before sweeping, reduce the floor to avoid dust.
– Ventilate at least 30 minutes before entering the closed areas (houses, sheds). Wipe your mouth and nose with a damp scarf before entering.
– Clean (floor, tables, drawers and closets) with one bleach part every ten water (leave for 30 minutes and then rinse). Before sweeping, reduce the floor to avoid dust.
– If the campsite destroys the weeds and dumps, it does not perceive directly on the ground and consumes drinking water.