Its independence and hygiene make many people decide on their adoption. However, the scientific research that was at the center of the scene danger to cats like pets: most have a parasite that can cause schizophrenia in humans.
It's about Toxoplasma gondii, how to it spreads people, especially when they communicate with plastic trays used to get rid of the animal. But this is not the only way to get infected; This can happen, for example, when eating raw meat.
This parasite does not usually hurt, but Copenhagen University scientists in Denmark have conducted research indicating that there is a risk of schizophrenia developing increases by 50% infected.
Schizophrenia is a brain disease that is serious thinking disorder, perception and emotions. Patients may have hallucinations, that is, they hear or see something that others do not. They may also express abnormal ideas called falsehoods that do not correspond to reality.
The analysis was conducted on over 80,000 people in a Danish blood donor study where they were more than 2500 cases people with mental disabilities. Specialists found the parasite in a fourth of the population studied, of which 61% were cytomegalovirus, which also causes cognitive impairment.
The study found that infected with Toxoplasma gondii They are almost 50% more often diagnosed with schizophrenia than those who do not. This parasite can prevent the action of amino acids in the body called tryptophan, which would cause a large amount of metabolites such as quinurenic acid to be found in people with schizophrenia.
The parasite T. gondiiAs is known, it is more popular because it is an infection called toxoplasmosis that causes flu-like symptoms. Most of the time the disease is very low. However. T. pregnant women it becomes more complicated because it can cause serious risk to the child.
How to prevent spreading?
• If you have a cat, check if it is healthy, visit a veterinarian and do the proper deworming.
• Clean the cat litter box every day using gloves and then wash your hands. Cat excrement is infectious only after 36 hours.
• If you do not have a cat during gardening, be aware that other cats may have traces, so use gloves.
• Do not eat raw, raw meat or sausages.
• Clean utensils and / or items that have been in contact with raw meat.
• Wash the fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
• The parasite is resistant to low temperatures but not high. Cooking at high temperatures guarantees your death.
• Always wash your hands before eating.
• It is important to have control during pregnancy to detect possible infections immediately.