The public broadcaster published a statement on Thursday afternoon stating that it had decided not to renew the notice to refer to Article 189 of the Labor Relations Act.
JOHANNESBURG – South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has announced that it will not reduce the number of employees.
On Thursday afternoon, the public broadcaster made a statement stating that it had decided not to renew the notice in order to refer to Article 189 of the Labor Relations Act, which allows companies to reduce the number of employees and determine how to do so.
Last year, the broadcaster introduced emergency cost reduction measures, including proposed reductions of 981 permanent staff and over 1,200 freelancers.
Hannes du Buisson, a representative of broadcasters, the union of electronic, media and allied workers (Bemawu), says they have good news to deliver to their members.
“SABC announced that it had terminated the Article 189 termination process. Of course, this is a great relief for SABC employees who have been under tremendous stress over the last few months due to this process. ”
SABC says that it will now carry out a skills audit to review cost increases, but the jobs of the employees are now secure.
Many SABC staff had been worried about their future for several months, and this week's technical disruption, which they noticed for a few hours, was panic.
On Thursday, announcing the termination of Article 189, the SABC added that a comprehensive skills audit would continue.
Du Buisson says it will take about 14 months.